Thursday, May 4, 2017

A Grand Adventure

Sometimes a journey is more than you ever expected...it tests your strength, your heart, your stamina, your will, and your determination...and it reminds you just how incredible life can be - for me, hiking the Grand Canyon in one day was all of this and so much more. Our adventure started at the South Kaibab Trailhead at 6:27 AM...and down we went...all the way to the base of the canyon...a steep decline and rough trails...beautiful vegetation and blooms...incredible breathtaking views. We crossed the Black Bridge and the Silver Bridge and walked along the Colorado River at the base, following the River Trail. Our packed lunch was devoured at the Pipe Creek Beach...where I walked down to the river, putting both my hands and feet into the water. Shortly after 1:00 PM, we started up the Bright Angel Trail to the rim...the incline was steep and steady...and we finally reached the rim right around 8:00 PM. My Apple watch read 21.42 miles for the day (that might not seem like much to some, but when you figure the very sharp decline and incline of the trails, it was a true feat!...oh, and did I mention the brutal winds - yes, it was EXTREMELY windy). There is a reason they recommend you stay at the bottom of the canyon at least one, if not, two nights in-between the hike down and the hike up - doing it all in one day is challenging, to say the least...and we trained hard for over a year. It was the most physically challenging, yet the most rewarding thing I have ever done...and it changed me - mentally and spiritually. In fact, I really don't have the right words to describe my experience...but it definitely made me stronger and more confident. The following day, looking out over the canyon, it was hard to believe that we had hiked lower than the eye can see, along the river, and then back up to the top - and I truly felt accomplished. I can't thank Dan enough for asking me to join him on this magnificent journey (his 6th time to hike the canyon in one day)...I could not have asked for better company - to say I am blessed, is an understatement - we will be forever bonded by this experience...and the Grand Canyon will always have a little piece of my heart.

Here are just a few of the almost 600 photos I snapped throughout the day...as you can see the canyon is in full bloom and truly a sight to behold...

South Kaibab Trailhead



Dan heading down the trail...

Dan shot this photo of me in action -  making my way down
 the rough terrain...



This image captures what most of the trail heading down looked
like...steep and rough...



Dan on the trail...







Mules at Tonto East (bathroom stop)


The Colorado River coming into sight...

The Black Bridge


Short tunnel - Black Bridge Entrance

Colorado River along the River Trail


It's all about the squirrel...


The Silver Bridge


Dan and I at the base of the canyon, along the Colorado River...
River Trail

Pipe Creek Beach

Bright Angel Trail - 3 miles from the top...

Love this sign...Caution! DOWN is optional, UP is mandatory...
HAZARD: Hiking to the river and back in a day can be hazardous
to your health and is NOT recommended.


Sun starting to set on the canyon...

Short tunnel - ¾ of a mile from the rim....
Bright Angel Trail


That is the short version of our one day Grand Canyon hike...a spectacular, life changing journey. I hope you enjoyed seeing it through the lens of my camera. This adventure provided me with more design inspiration than I could have ever imagined!

The rest of the week was filled with special excursions, exploring Monument Valley and Sedona. I will be back in the next couple days to share more fun photos that capture the beauty of the area!

3 comments:

  1. Belinda, thank you for sharing your Grand Canyon adventure with us through the lens of your camera. What gorgeous views and I am thrilled you were able to take this journey. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how your hike went. Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful country.
    Glad you got to enjoy the experience.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete